BA English at Middlesex University is hosting the ‘English Review Series’ of monthly conversations on Monsters in cultural texts. Come and have a monster time with us chatting about popular culture! It’ll be fun. We’ll be talking tv, film, comics, the news and books (all different ‘cultural texts’).
All meetings can be accessed via Zoom: https://mdx-ac-uk.zoom.us/j/96567350722?pwd=L1Q3dVNOWkttWHhkSUtIZDM2ZkVuUT09
Topic: Monsters and fear – 3:30-4:30pm, Monday 19 October 2020, on Zoom
- Why do different cultures have similar monsters?
- What monsters are you scared of? Where did that fear first come from – listening to fairy tales? Watching something? Listening to the news and hearing about a serial killer?
- Are you more scared of real monsters (like the serial killer Dennis Nilsen, played by David Tennant in a new series) or mythical monsters (like zombies)? But why?
- Why is horror now a popular genre, when sales of horror (tv and film) were at rock-bottom in the 90s?
Topic: Witches – 3:30-4:30pm, 16 November 2020, on Zoom
- Witches are wicked, right? What about Sabrina, Hermione, the good witch in The Wizard of Oz, and Maleficent?
- How did the wicked witch come about, then?
- Do any of us know anyone who’s a ‘white witch’?
- Why are there so many UK witch groups on Facebook?·
Topic: Vampires and devils – 3:30-4:30pm, 7 December 2021, on Zoom
- Dracula in the novel and Hammer movies was Satanic, right? How come he’s a good guy in the 2013-14 tv show? And why are vampires goodies in True Blood, Buffy (sometimes) and Twilight?
- Is the Dark Lord a sympathetic character in today’s world? But why?
- Aren’t vampires just silly and made-up, or is there some real aspect to them?
- Would you like to be immortal?
Topic: Zombies – 3:30-4:30pm, 18 January 2021, on Zoom
- Why on Earth are zombies still popular?
- Is it cos of covid?
- Or immigration?
- Are they still making The Walking Dead? Sheesh. How many series?
Topic: Werewolves and shape-shifters – 3:30-4:30pm, 15 February 2021
- Is there a ravening beast hiding inside you?
- Jekyll and Hyde is still popular. Why is that?
- Why does every vampire series always end up with a bunch of werewolves as enemies?
Topic: Frankenstein and A.I.s – 3:30-4:30pm, 15 March 2021
- Do the sciences of cloning and A.I. mean we are about to create a new Frankenstein? Is that really a good idea?
- Are Pinocchio, The Blade Runner, Avengers: Age of Ultron, West World, etc, all the same story?
- Is it horror, sci-fi or actually happening?
WANT TO PARTICIPATE? RESERVE YOUR PLACE FOR ONE OR MORE SESSIONS BY EMAILING DR ADAM DALTON (firstname.lastname@example.org) OR DR ANNA CHARALAMBIDOU (email@example.com)! YOU CAN ALSO RESERVE PLACES FOR FRIENDS!