Everyone at Middlesex University is so excited to be partnering with Unitas Youth Zone. And no-one is more excited than our BA English students who will be delivering the newly-launched homework club from 5th November 2019.
Our 3rd year BA English students, Melissa and Shimyla, will be running the seniors homework club on Tuesday afternoons (for 13 -18 year old & up to 25 for those with disabilities) and the juniors (8-12 year olds) on Wednesday afternoons, from November 2019 to May 2020.
Barnet Youth Zone, named by young people as ‘Unitas’, is an independent charity for the borough’s young people aged 8 – 19, and up to 25 for those with disabilities. The youth centre provides a safe environment where young people can enjoy themselves and develop skills to build confidence and raise attainment to create a happier and healthier generation.
Middlesex partnership with Unitas aims:
- To enable BA English Middlesex students develop skills and knowledge in teaching and mentoring and share experiences of university life;
- To inspire young people from low-income families to aspire to higher level learning;
- To support them in making informed decisions post-16 and post-18;
- To provide role models to help raise self-esteem;
- To improve young people’s wellbeing;
- To enhance the visibility of English as a university subject area.
Check back at our londonenglish.live website for updates on how our English students, Melissa and Shimyla, are getting on in the new roles as homework club helpers at Unitas.