Yesterday we had our first ever event jointly organised by the ‘Language & Communication’ and ‘Promotional Cultures’ research clusters.
Our PhD candidates talked about aspects of their ever evolving research projects. These are the titles of the presentations:
- Salim Bouherar: “Idiom teaching and understanding: A first language or imperial culture?”
- Narmina Fataliyeva: “Linguistic and extra linguistic factors regulating the synonym choice in political discourse”
- Benoît Leclercq (pictured above): “Understanding the concept of semantics in relevance theory”
- Tatjana Milosavljevic: ”Neoliberal Britain in Black British cultural production of the 1980s”
- Kyu Hyun Park: “Speech production in intercultural communication”
- Ramona Pistol: “Metaphor and metarepresentation’
We could have kept discussing the projects for hours, but unfortunately had to leave the room at 5pm, as it was booked for another event. Undeterred, we continued the conversation at the beautifully decorated Atrium of the College Building.